Sunday, November 23, 2014

STARDIVER FOUR, CHAPTER 2, VIKKI

A chapter of a science fiction novel in blog format.  In this chapter, we are introduced to the teenage rebel, Vikki.

  CHAPTER 2
VIKKI

       Victoria was acting like a two-year-old.  "No way, Mom, I am not going to play bingo with you and all the old farmers.  My friends are going to hang out at the Merchant's Deck.:

     “Baby doll,” her dad began.

     “That’s just it, Dad, I am not your baby anymore.  I’m as grown up as the next person; so start treating me that way.”

     Dad folded his arms, his face was tight.  “Then you have to start acting that way.”

     “Oh, give me a break.”  Vikki stomped her feet to the door of her small room.  The door opened and closed behind her.

     “Now don’t talk to your dad like that.”  Mom entered the tiny cluttered room.

     “Aaaggh!  Leave me alone."  Vikki picked up a carry bag, flung it over her shoulder and pushed past mom as she left the room.

     “Victoria,” Dad yelled, “Go back to your room.  Right now!”

     “Don’t call me that!  My name is Vikki.  I thought you wanted me to go play bingo! Now you want me to stay.  I hate you both!”

     "Don't say that, Sweetie."  Tears trailed down Mom's cheeks as she spoke.

     "I didn't ask to be a colonist and you didn't ask if I wanted to be.  This is your fault, not mine.  You just took me away from my friends and my life without ever thinking about what I want.  You are such hypocrites!  You say I only think about myself but you didn't think about me.  You just decided to pack up and go to some dead rock orbiting some dead planet no one gives a flying damn about."

     "That's not true, Victoria..." Dad began.

     "Agggggh!  You didn't hear a word I said.  My name is Vikki!"

     The door opened, Vikki flung herself through and dashed up the wide corridor.  Her red hair flipped back and forth as she ran.  Behind her, she heard Mom calling, “Victoria.  Vikki.  We’re sorry.  Come back.”

     “Hell with you!”  She yelled back.

     Vikki would have looked forward to the shopping, entertainment, and adventure of the merchant's deck, but she chose the long way to stop at an airlock portal.  The small recess in the corridor gave her a place of momentary solitude.  She turned her face into the corner of the wall and began to cry tears of shame and anger.  With the memory of the argument repeating in her head it took some time for her to cry it all out.

     Vikki looked around the corner to see if anyone was looking.  No one was around so she opened her carry bag and pulled out another jumpsuit.  She hated the drab blue suit she was wearing and touched the collar button, it opened up like a flower until it collapsed in a pile around her feet. She stepped out of her spacer boots and slipped on the other space suit.  With a touch inside the low-cut collar, the suit conformed to her body showing off her shape.  She stuffed the old suit and the boots into a locker by the portal, lockers were everywhere and one was always available.  She put on black knee high boots that wrapped around her caffs.  With a touch of the inside of the collar, the suit changed from emerald to ruby red to black and black fit her mood but red was more fun because men looked at her so she froze it at red. Vikki stepped back into the busy corridor and joined the flow of people.

     On the way to the merchants section she decided that she was not in the mood to be around stupid people so she changed plans and went to Bobby's place.

     Bobby's door was unmarked, hidden in the shadow under a metal stair in the dark between some shops.  She touched the pad, but the door did not open.  Again she tried to activate the door.  While touching the pad she said, “Bobby. Let me in.”  When nothing happened she kicked the door several times.  The metal rang like a drum.

     With a click the door opened a few inches, a thin youth with a wispy beard peeked out. “Vikki, I didn't know it was you.”

     “Right, look I just had a big fight with my folks.  Can I hang out here for a while and do a little video tripping."

     “Sure”

     She walked past laundry machines to the back door where the supply closet was.  The cleaning supplies were gone and replaced with shelves of electronic gaming devices.  Vikki selected a pair of heavy sound blocking headphones and wrap around goggles.  She began the loud music then started the role play.  Laying on large soft laundry bags she was escaped into a fantasy world that grew and responded to the sensors in the goggles.  The escape was total; she was a tiger in a mansion stalking the rich woman in a gaudy dress, her mom’s dress.

(c) Adron


To proceed to the next chapter click here. or choose from the table of contents at the sidebar.
To start at the beginning click here.

Please use the buttons below to share this chapter on your networks. Thank you.